Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Ultimate Lentil Burger



You can relax!  The search is officially over for the ultimate veggie burger.  (Believe me, the search has been a long and a hard one - but finally, here it is!)

These patties have past the most stringent family tests in my household, with requests (I could hardly believe it!) for more!

I make a bigger batch, by trebling the quantities and then freezing them for use on other occasions.

400 g dry lentils (if you insist - I just use 1 tin rinsed)
1 large onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 T Nomu Egyptian dukkah
1 egg
10g of chopped parsley or coriander
1/2 cup of oats
1 round of feta, crumbled
Olive or Canola oil to fry

Cook the lentils in the normal way, or just open the can and rinse in a sieve or colander.

Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until it is soft and golden
Add the dukkah spice and fry for 2 minutes (I have also used chermoula spice, if I can't find dukkah)

Remove the onions from the heat and allow to cool completely. Mix the onion mixture with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.  Shape into four large patties and allow to stand in the fridge for about an hour.

Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the patties for about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.

Serve in a bun with a hummus base (if you have some in the fridge) and all the usual burger toppings, to taste.

You will not regret it, I promise!









No comments:

Post a Comment